Deadly 5.8 magnitude earthquake in Italy kills 8
At least eight people have been reported dead in a 5.8 magnitude earthquake in northern Italy on Tuesday, civil protection authorities said, predicting the number may rise. The deadly earthquake comes at the heels of a quake in the same region that killed seven people. Andrea Vogt, a journalist who was near the epicenter, said, “People are very scared. It’s been shaking non-stop for the past week.”
Vogt said the earthquakes of the last 10 days have been “a real shock” to locals, adding that no one could remember so many earthquakes occurring in such a short period of time. Buildings that were damaged in last week’s earthquake were struck again. The earthquake on Tuesday was centered in the province of Modena, near Bologna. The towns of Mirandola and Cavezzo were closest to the epicenter, civil protection authorities said. The Italian geological service said there have been three aftershocks since the Tuesday morning earthquake.